Living more sustainably only takes some small changes in your everyday life. Bit by bit, step by step, changing your lifestyle will have a huge impact on reducing large scale climate issues.
To make things easier for you, I have gathered 10 of top tips that will enable you to live more sustainably, starting now:
1. Reduce plastic consumption
Single use plastic is extremely damaging to the environment. Every year huge numbers of single use plastic containers, bags and bottles go pretty much straight from the factory into the landfill. The life cycle of plastic bottles is around 450 years. The plastic you use will be on the Earth far longer than you will be which is why reducing your individual plastic footprint is essential in your journey towards living sustainably.
Key tips for reducing your plastic consumption:
· Say no to straws.
· Use a reusable bottle.
· Carry your reusable shopping bags, EVERYWHERE.
· Buy loose fruit and veg.
· Use a reusable coffee mug.
· Use preserving jars to store food.
2. Conserve your electrical use
To reduce your carbon footprint, you must start conserving energy. This is one of the easiest ways to live more sustainably.
Do this by:
· Not leaving devices of standby.
· Investing in eco-friendly devices (mobile phones, kitchen appliances)
· Using your microwave. Surprisingly, they use way less energy than conventional ovens!
· Dust your light bulbs and radiators to remove obstructions of energy
· Take short showers